Saturday, August 19, 2017

Weekend Ramblings #15


Are you ready for another Weekend Ramblings a la KJ?!

Well then... let's get ready to raaaaammmmmbbbbbllllleeeee!!!!!

This week's rambling question is...

*Insta-Love. When does it work and when is it too much?*

This has been an ongoing topic with a few of my bookish friends. Since it has come up a couple of times this week I thought it would be a good topic to discuss.

There are times that I think insta-love can work and other times that it has me rolling my eyes. I am not sure why that is but it is. I guess it would all have to do with the genre I'm reading and the circumstances.

It doesn't seem to bother me when I'm reading fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal, etc. But it does bother me when I'm reading any other kind of books. I am not sure why that is. Maybe because with vampires, werewolves, witches, magical settings we can extend our imaginations to have it fit with this kind of world. But when it happens in normal every day life? Nope! It just doesn't work. Well I guess I shouldn't say it doesn't work because as stated above it all depends on the circumstances of the book I am reading.

If I'm reading a book and the hero looks across the room and catches the eye of the heroine and BAM! I love you! Lets get married! Nope... sorry! That does not work for me! But if they meet, feel a connection, spend time together, get to know each other and then start feeling that it could be love and want to explore it more then, yes. I can get behind that. But then again, maybe that's not what everyone considers insta-love? Hmmm... maybe it just needs to be believable in order for it to work?

What are your thoughts? Does it work? Does it not work? Do you lower your rating because of it? What are some books that it worked in for you? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

1 Comments:

  1. Hmmm...I don't always lower the rating because of an insta-love, but you're right--some work and and some don't. For me, insta-love isn't "Hello, I love you, won't you tell me your name? And PS...let's get married tomorrow." It's more of making an instant connection and quickly building on it, but taking more than a day. :) The relationships that move super fast always make me think that it's more lust than love, although sometimes I've been proven wrong. I guess because I'm cautious, it's hard to get behind something moving soooo fast. But I know it does happen.

    ReplyDelete