Sunday, December 24, 2017

A Fine Gentleman by Sarah M. Eden


Synopsis:

London barrister Jason Jonquil has spent his entire life working to establish his identity as a gentleman, a man of refinement like his father and brothers. But when fiery Spanish beauty Mariposa Thornton walks into his office, he finds himself losing his grasp on his dignified character. The woman is infuriating, pushing him to the limit of his legendary patience. However, her case seems simple enough—a small matter of inheritance. Or so he believes.Once a well-born lady, Mariposa fought to survive the brutalities of Napoleon’s war on Spain. She braved horrific perils and undertook dangerous missions on behalf of those fighting against the invading French army. But her greatest battle still lies ahead: after being separated from her family, Mariposa sets in motion a plan to reunite with her loved ones in England. To avoid drawing the attention of the French, Mariposa dons a carefully crafted persona to conceal her true purpose. As Jason and Mariposa are drawn together by the case, they come to know the people beneath the masks they both wear. When the truth of Mariposa’s quest is revealed, the couple is pulled into a mystery that will test the limits of their courage—and expose the true desire of their hearts.

My Review: 4 Stars

Mariposa is in desperate need of help. She can only think of one person to turn to. Jason Jonquil. He has come highly recommended by his brother and she knows that if anyone can uncover the truth it will be him. But she must take heed to not give too much away. Her life and her family's lives depend on his utmost discretion. She does not like deceiving him, but she must keep her family safe!

Jason cannot believe the nerve of Mariposa! How dare she insult his intelligence and character! He has never met someone so condescending in his life! He will do his best to help her with her dilemma as quickly as possible so he can get the infuriating woman out of his life! 

But the more time he spends with her, the more intrigued he becomes. There is definitely more to the story than she is telling and slowly, he sees her firmly placed mask slipping. This spitfire of a woman is going to be the death of him. But heaven help him, he just can't walk away. Somewhere along the way, he has fallen in love with her and can no longer picture his life without her in it. He will help her solve her mystery and then he will do whatever it takes to keep this fiery Spanish beauty in his life for good. 

While I really enjoyed this book, I didn't love it like I have the others in the Jonquil Brothers series. I had a hard time connecting with Mariposa. I get why she did what she did, but at times I think she went way overboard. There were times during the story that I was willing Jason to just run far away! But, being a Jonquil, he saw past her faults and fell in love with the person she truly is. I did end up liking her more in the end but the beginning was definitely rough for me.

I absolutely love the Jonquil brothers! I have enjoyed all of their stories so far. Years ago, I read one too many regency/historical romances in a short period of time and got burned out on them. I have avoided them ever since. BUT I am happy to announce that rereading this series has made me fall in love with this genre all over again! I can't wait to reread more of Ms. Eden's books!

And speaking of Ms. Eden, from the moment I read my first book by her, I knew she would always be a favorite of mine. I have adored all her books. I know I will be reading and rereading her books years from now! I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next! If you haven't read anything by her then you are definitely missing out!

*I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.* 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment