Tuesday, September 22, 2015

To Authors Everywhere...

... I personally want to apologize for all the unnecessary negative reviews out there!

While searching Goodreads this morning for my next book, I ran across a review that really irritated me. The more I read, the more irritated I became. And then I read some of the comments that were attached to the review. I was appalled at what I was reading! I could not believe how cruel some people could be! I understand that we all have our own opinions and I respect that... I really do. But there are just some reviews out there that should NOT be posted! I have been coming across more and more on a regular basis and it really breaks my heart!

Don't get me wrong... I get that not everyone is going to LOVE every book they read. But, in my opinion, us, as readers, need to have some class when writing reviews. There is a way to write an honest review without saying cruel and mean things. Personally attacking an author is seriously unacceptable to me. How would we like it if people started tearing our work apart for no other reason than because they wanted to?! I mean come on... authors are humans too! Yes... I know that they have to have a tough skin in this industry and they are not always going to have glowing 5 star reviews all the time. But they also don't need to be torn apart for how they write their books. This is, after all, THEIR creation! These characters speak to them... they each have their own individual writing style that makes them unique and puts their mark in the book world.

I will admit that I, too, have been guilty of doing this in the past. Granted not to the extent as some reviewers, but still, that is no excuse. My pledge to you as authors is that I will try and do better in my future reviews. I may not like the book but a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into creating that book for me and millions of other readers. The least I can do is write an honest but classy review. 

I hope I haven't offended anyone for putting my thoughts and opinions into this post. But all day I have felt like I needed to get this out there for others to read. Hopefully, as readers and reviewers, we can help to lift up and encourage our favorite writers, new writers and future writers. 

To all authors reading this post... YOU are amazing! YOU are a rockstar! YOU can do this! And THANK YOU for creating a magical place that we can disappear into and discover new worlds whenever we open a book! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment