Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Chimney Sweep Charm by Marcia Lynn McClure


Excerpt:

There was the muffled sound of audience members standing up, and Baylee and Candice turned to look behind them. 

"Holy smokes!" Baylee breathed. "It's like a Navy SEAL convention or something," Candice added. 

And it was! Baylee couldn't believe that over twenty-five of the people in the orientation audience were tall, dark, handsome, buff guys dressed all in black. Each man stood with his feet apart and hands held at his back-similar if not exactly like a military "at ease" stance. 

"They're all packing heat too," Baylee whispered to Candice as she noted all the holstered sidearms. 

"I guess Mr. O'Sullivan wants to be prepared," Candice said. "I suppose you girls are all wowed now, right?" Tate said from the front row. 

"Let's see," Candice began, looking to Tate and feigning an expression of thoughtfulness. "Let's say I'm being assaulted by some weirdo in the street...and who am I going to look to for protection? One of these guys?" she said, nodding toward the security staff. "Or you, Tate? You...who freaked out in June when we were in New York and you thought some guy was looking at you funny. You freaked out and slammed Megan's finger in the door and cut it off! Who do you think I'm going to trust?" 

"It was an accident, and you know it," Tate grumbled. 

Baylee did know it. Still, she found her eyes glancing down the row of chairs in front of her to Megan-to the missing first joint and fingertip on her right hand. 

"Yeah, it was," Candice admitted. "But you still cared more about yourself than Megan. The guy was stalking Megan...not you. Real heroic, Tate. Way to go to instilling a sense of confidence in me that you would have my back." 

"Whatever," Tate grumbled, turning around in his seat to pout. 

"Thank you," Brian said to his men. Baylee watched as the security staff sat down in unison. "So there you have it...our extra security staff for the next two months. As I said, if you need assistance...just grab a chimney sweep." 

Baylee giggled. "Grab a cab, grab a snack...grab a chimney sweep." 

Candice giggled too. "And you know what? I just figured out what I want for Christmas." 

"Absolutely," Baylee agreed. "I'll never ring 'Chim Chim Cher-ee' with the same mental pictures again."

My Review: 4 Stars

The Chimney Sweep Charm had me wishing it was Christmas and that I was with everyone in the Dickens Village! It also had me wanting my own Chimney Sweep for Christmas! ;)

When Baylee and Justice first meet each other it's at the Dickens Village where she is working as a hand-bell ringer and he's working security. They both feel something for each other instantly and have a pretty drama free relationship. Not only do they like a lot of the same things but they also pretty much have the same vocabulary. Of course Baylee can't believe that someone like Justice would ever be interested in her (the theme for a lot of heroines these days) but at least she decides that she's not going to dwell too much on that and just enjoy the ride for however long it'll last.

And boy does it last! These two are constantly neckin and enjoy every minute they can with each other. And can I just say that Justice's grandma is hilarious! I would've loved to see more of her!

The mystery element of the book is very low key and pretty much just happens in the background. I would have loved to see more of that come out. There were so many directions that this book could have taken and I just wanted more!!

For that reason and the book just ending had me rating The Chimney Sweep Charm only 4 stars. I really did enjoy it and will definitely read it again but really... I wanted more!! It was just such a fun book!! So if you are looking for a cute, quick, fluff kind of read... I say this one will be perfect for you!!

And of course... I cannot forget my casting!! These two are just PERFECT!!


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment