Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Enemy by Sarah Adams

 


Synopsis:

It’s been twelve years since I’ve seen him. Twelve years since he won our war of wits by outsmarting me with a tactic I didn’t even know was allowed. But tonight…I resurrect the battle.

Ryan Henderson is back in town for our best friends’ wedding, and I plan on showing him exactly how much I don’t care about him—or the almost kiss he ruthlessly dangled over me after graduation.

A lot has changed since our feuding days. I'm a successful bakery owner now, and I plan to rub every delicious detail of my life in his ugly face.

Just one problem: his face is gorgeous.

He wasn’t supposed to look like this or pursue me like a sexy guided missile. I must stay strong until the wedding is over and Ryan scurries back into whatever alternate universe he escaped from.

His interest in me is nothing but a continuation of the games we played in high school...right?

But the longer he stays, the more I wonder if I’m wrong and his tender smile and heated attentions are genuine. Maybe it’s not a game.

Ha! Who am I kidding? This is Ryan we’re talking about. Of course it’s a game. A game called war. And this time, I will win.

My Review: 5 Stars

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you're stressed to the max, frustrated and all you want to do is run far away from it all? That has been my week. Since I can't really do that, I did the next best thing. I escaped into a book and lived vicariously through the characters. It was just what the doctor ordered!

When it comes to enemies to lovers tropes, there's nothing better than a sassy, feisty heroine and a determined, sexy hero. June and Ryan fit that bill to a T. From the moment these two laid eyes on each other, after years of being apart, the sparks start flying off the pages. All I can say is sit down, strap in and hold on tight because you're in for a wild ride!

One of my favorite things about reading is when I feel connected to the characters. It only took a few minutes before I was transported to Charleston where I was sitting at a table in Darlin' Donuts with June and Ryan, listening to them tell me their story. We instantly became besties and I had a front row seat to a beautiful love story that has been in the making for years.

You can't help but fall in love with June and Ryan. Between their pranks, witty banter and tender moments, I found myself laughing (or giggling) out loud and letting out little dreamy sighs throughout the book. I was rooting for them from the very beginning and I had the hardest time putting this book down. I had to stop myself from pouting and stomping my foot when I had to actually adult. Work schmerk, right?!

The Enemy is the perfect addition to the It Happened in Charleston series. I loved seeing and catching up with the Broaden family. I think this series is one of my favorites of the year. I will definitely be rereading this and The Match over and over again. They're the perfect getaway from this crazy thing we call life.

Ms. Adams has definitely become one of my favorite and auto-buy authors. I already know I won't be reading any kind of synopsis before one-clicking her books. I love when an author can make me feel all the feels and gives me that much needed break from reality. I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next!

And of course, what review of mine would be complete without my casting?! I am in love with these two! And that dimple! *dreamy sigh* What do you think?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment