Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest


Synopsis:

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.
An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?

My Review: 3.5 Stars


A Shade of Vampire is part of my 2017 Reading Challenge... the YA Bestseller. This is actually the 2nd time I have read this book, Well, actually, it's the 1st time all the way through. A couple of years ago I made the mistake of picking up the old version... the one with 150 pages. I only got halfway through the book before I said enough is enough... I just can't! So I gave up on it and moved on.

But when I saw that on of my best book buddies read the longer version and seemed to enjoy it, I decided that I would give the longer version a try. It just goes to show you that mood reading is a real thing because I actually did get through the whole book! Haha.

While on vacation, Sofia is kidnapped by vampires and taken to an island called The Shade. There she is chosen to be part of Derek Novak's harem. Terrified and alone, she does what anyone in her position would do, try to escape. But she quickly discovers that there is no way she will ever escape. She must face her fate and do the best she can to stay alive. And the only way to do that is to stay in the good graces of Derek Novak.  

Derek has never met anyone like Sofia before. She is a marvel. There is just something about her that not only draws him in, but makes him want to be a better person. He is much more than his circumstances and with the help of Sofia he just might be able to become better and stronger than he already is. 

But when outside forces attack and plant seeds of doubt, they both will need to face demons within themselves and enemies if they are going to survive. 

My advice, if you are going to be reading this book/series, is to keep in mind that this is an urban fantasy. Not everything is going to be believable, there will be insta-love and warnings that you see will be ignored by the beloved characters in the books. I know there are a lot of people out there who have a hard time reading books like this because there is so much within the book that just wouldn't happen. If you are one of those, then I would suggest skipping over this one. If you are not, then you will probably enjoy this book. 

After looking into this series more, I have discovered that there are 39 books so far. That is definitely A LOT of books! I am not sure if I will continue on and read the entire series but I think I am intrigued enough to continue on with Sofia and Derek's story. This book does end in a bit of a cliffhanger so if you love this book, be prepared to want to grab the next book in the series. 

And of course I can't forget my casting... what do you think? 


Content: 
Language - Mild... a handful or so including both b's, h's and d's. 
Violence - Mild to moderate. A couple of fights, death, attempted rape... nothing is detailed though. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment