Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Work of Art by Mimi Matthews


Synopsis:

An Uncommon Beauty...

Hidden away in rural Devonshire, Phyllida Satterthwaite has always been considered more odd than beautiful. But in London, her oddity has made her a sensation. Far worse, it's caught the eye of the sinister Duke of Moreland--a notorious art collector obsessed with acquiring one-of-a-kind treasures. To escape the duke's clutches, she's going to need a little help.

An Unlikely Hero...

Captain Arthur Heywood's days of heroism are long past. Grievously injured in the Peninsular War, he can no longer walk unaided, let alone shoot a pistol. What use can he possibly be to a damsel in distress? He has nothing left to offer except his good name.

Can a marriage of convenience save Philly from the vengeful duke? Or will life with Arthur put her--and her heart--in more danger than ever?

My Review: 5 Stars

I should have known that the moment I started reading The Work of Art, I would not want to do anything else until I finished it. 

From the very first page I was swept away to London living my life right along side Philly. Oh how I adored her! She was kind, gentle, always looked for the good in others, was quick to forgive and was the ray of sunshine in everyone's life. What I loved the most about her was, she didn't see herself as any special person, nor did she think that she was beautiful. She was just Philly. She was brought up to believe that what's on the outside does not matter, it's what's on the inside that counts the most. 

And what's an amazing heroine without an equally amazing hero? Arthur is not your typical hero. I quickly fell in love with him as well. He was quiet and broody but when it came to Philly he was fierce and protective. He was determined to keep her safe no matter what. There were times when he struggled with whether or not he'd be able to protect her, but when the person you're in love with is in danger, nothing will hold you back from being who and what they need.

I loved the relationship between Arthur and Philly. There was a connection between them that only grew stronger the more they got to know each other. Watching their relationship grow from friendship into something more was beautiful. These two were absolutely perfect together.

The only thing I felt was missing was an epilogue. There were one or two things that I personally didn't feel were resolved. But then again, I'm selfish and when I read an amazing book, I never want it to end!

Whenever I read one of Ms. Matthews books I know I'm going to feel all the feels. She is an amazing author and I can't wait to read more books by her!

I'm not going to lie.. this casting was hard! But I love it! What do you think?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment