Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Widower's Girlfriend by Marika Ray


Synopsis:

Sometimes you have to fake it till you make it, in life and in matters of the heart.

Walker

I practically have Widower stamped on my forehead as a speaker traveling the world talking about my experience losing my wife to cancer as newlyweds. Which has always suited me just fine. Until a woman all wrong for me jumpstarts my heart with her comical bad luck at the airport. If I help her out, even for just this weekend, will I also have to throw away my lucrative career as the permanently grieving husband?

Jemma

This final yearly trip with my old friends from high school has gone from bad to worse with a broken suitcase handle and my clothes strewn all over the baggage belt. Tall, dark, and handsome has witnessed all my humiliation with that condescending smirk, yet somehow I crave more time with this total stranger. When he offers to get my so-called friends off my back, who am I to say no?

But somehow between fake kisses and real conversation, the lines blur on what’s pretend and what’s true love. But what happens in Colorado, has to stay in Colorado. Doesn’t it?

My Review: 4.5 Stars

I know... I know. I can see and hear your confusion right now. "Wait... isn't this a trope that KJ is boycotting?! Did she really read a 'fake relationship' book willingly?!" And the answer is yes... yes I did. Why? Because just reading the synopsis had me feeling like there was more depth to this book than the other books I've tried in this trope. I was about 41% into the book when I realized that maybe it's not the trope per se, maybe it was the writing style of the authors who had written said books that I had the issue with. And with that... I continued reading. 

Jemma really does not want to go on the yearly trip with her "friends". Over the last few years they've only gotten worse and seem to go out of their way to treat her horribly. But she's determined to make this the last year of seeing them. 

Walker has been going through the motions ever since his wife died 8 years ago. But meeting Jemma woke something up inside of him. He no longer wanted to live his life alone. He wanted to experience everything that life had to offer but didn't want to do a disservice to his fans.

Both he and Jemma were shocked with his idea of him being her boyfriend just to get her friends off her back, but decided, what could it hurt? It's only for the weekend. But somewhere along the line, fake and reality started to blur and they're left with a tough decision. Do they walk away when all is said and done? Or do they see where their relationship could go?

I adored the meet-cute between Walker and Jemma. I couldn't help but giggle a little but then think... poor Jemma! I knew from the beginning that this story was going to be a fun one. Jemma and Walker were just what the other needed. Watching their relationship grow and seeing the sacrifices that they were willing to make for the other, had my heart smiling. They both wanted what was best for each other, even if that meant letting the other go.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to reading the other books in this series. If they're anything like this one, I know I'll love them!

As for my casting... *dreamy sigh* What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment