Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Shadow Redemption by Rebecca Deel

 

Synopsis:

After surviving a nightmare, supermodel Ruth Monihan's past is firmly in her rearview mirror. But when unwanted gifts threaten to drag her back into the darkness, she turns to a tall, dark, and deadly operative with fire-tested skills and courage to unmask a stalker with a lethal agenda.

Living and working in the shadows is a matter of survival for Fortress operative Ben Martin. But when the woman who rocked his world asks for help, the battle-hardened warrior walks into the limelight, triggering a cascade of events that may conclude with their deaths.

My Review: 3.5 Stars

Y'all know how much I love Ms. Deel's books. So imagine my surprise when I realize that I never reviewed one of them. Gotta love a reason to reread books by a favorite author. 

Ruth and Ben both have demons in their past that they have a hard time with. Both think that they are broken and not good enough to have someone special in their lives. But past trauma is what paves the path from friendship to something more. 

I absolutely adored these two and loved watching them not only grow stronger as individuals, but also as a couple. These two were made for each other. Both knew what the other one was experiencing and knew just what to say and how to help each other. These two are definitely favorites of mine! 

While I loved these two, I do have to say, there were a few things that held me back from completely loving it. 

I was really disappointed with Bridget and Trace for the way they treated Ben. The way they reacted to the news of Ben and Ruth becoming a couple was ridiculous. Neither one of them thought Ben was "good enough" for her because of his past that they knew nothing about. I struggled with it because it wasn't true to their characters. 

I was also disappointed in the few plot points that were left unresolved (there's no resolution for the second half of the "mystery"), as well as some inconsistencies (in the previous book Ruth doesn't have any allergies but in this one she's death allergic to strawberries and she also spent time in Bayside with Sorensen in the previous book but doesn't know who he is in the book), and grammatical errors that should've been caught my beta readers and/or an editor. Had I not loved Ben and Ruth so much, I probably would've given it a lower rating. 

I seriously cannot get enough of Ms. Deel's books. They're all favorites that I can read over and over again. I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next! 

And of course I cannot forget my casting. I absolutely LOVE these two! What do you think?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment