Sunday, February 17, 2019

Weekend Ramblings #17


It's been forever but, I thought it was about time for another Weekend Ramblings a la KJ! Are you ready?

Well then... let's get ready to raaaaammmmmbbbbbllllleeeee!

This week's rambling topic is...

*Book Covers*

We've all heard the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover". But lets face it.. we all do it! Okay... maybe not you but I do for sure. Haha. The cover is the first thing I see when I'm looking for a book to read. If it's not appealing, there's a 95% chance that I'll be skipping over that book. 

In my years of reading I have seen some complete duds. I may or may not have busted out laughing and rolled my eyes a time or two when I come across a pretty atrocious cover. Mean.. I know. But why in the world would you throw a random baby head... yes I said HEAD... onto a historical western cover?! 😳 It makes zero sense. 

But I have also seen some GORGEOUS covers! I love covers that stand out from the rest. Covers that are bright and colorful. Covers that automatically suck you in and have you reading the synopsis for the book in hopes it'll be something you'll love. 

Over the years, I have also seen some of my favorite books get new covers. Some are better than the original cover and some have me not wanting to update the book because I don't want the gorgeous cover to disappear! I want to keep it forever! Haha. 

That's what happened today as I was on the hunt for my next book. I was sad to discover that the covers that drew me into a particular series had been changed to something else. Something that has this series blending in with most of the books on the market these days. It no longer stands out. There's no more bright colors, no more eye catching scenery, nothing that makes me want to grab the books and devour them. 😞

I understand that authors update their covers periodically for marketing and other reasons. But I don't think I'll ever understand why they would take a gorgeous cover that catches a reader's eye and switch it out with a plain, boring cover that has people, like me, skipping over it because it blends in with the hundreds of thousands of books out there. 

And yes, I know that I'm only one person. I know that what appeals to me, might not appeal to other people and vice versa. That's one of the things I love about book lovers. We each have out own opinions, our own likes and dislikes. We are unique and different. But I think we all have, at one time or another, felt the same way that I'm feeling right now about book covers. 

So, now that I have all that off my chest, lets get down to some questions. I want you to ramble with me! 😉

What kind of covers do you adore? What kind of covers make you cringe? What is the most random, off the wall cover you have come across that has you doing a double take and asking, what?! Do you judge a book by it's cover like I do?

Inquiring minds want to know! 

Also, if you have an idea for a Weekend Ramblings post, send it my way! I'd love to hear what you guys would like to discuss! 

4 Comments:

  1. I love when the covers have beautiful dresses on them. It's usually Regency or Victorian era books. I'm a sucker for a gorgeous ball gown. You make me wonder which books recently changed covers that you don't care for now. I know a series that the authors JUST changed covers on a few days ago and honestly I prefer the old cover but I think it's being rebranded. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I love those covers too! Thinking of those covers is putting me in the mood for a regency book! Haha. I'll send you a message on Goodreads and tell you the series... ;) I have no clue how long ago this author changed the covers but I do NOT want to update them! Haha.

      Delete
  2. I love Cindy Roland Anderson's covers. There's always a new a bold colored shoe features on them. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved her covers too! They're gorgeous! 😍

      Delete