Monday, June 24, 2019

The Princess Companion by Melanie Cellier


Synopsis:

One dark and stormy night, lost and alone, Alyssa finds herself knocking on the door of a castle.

After a lifetime spent in the deep forest, Alyssa has no idea what to expect on the other side.

What she finds is two unruly young princesses and one very handsome prince. When Alyssa accepts the job of Princess Companion she knows her life will change. What she doesn’t know is that the royal family is about to be swept up in unexpected danger and intrigue and that she just might be the only thing standing between her kingdom and destruction.

This retelling of the classic fairy tale, The Princess and the Pea, reimagines the risks and rewards that come when one royal family goes searching for a true princess.

Danger and romance await a woodcutter’s daughter in a royal palace.

My Review: 4 Stars

For those of you who know me, you know I am not a fan of YA romance. I used to read it all the time but over the last few years, I just can’t.

So, imagine my surprise when I’m a good way into the book and realize that the heroine is 17 almost 18 years old. Confession. I did not read the synopsis at all. I downloaded the book on a recommendation from a book buddy. By this point I was already invested in the book, so I just kept reading.

The Princess Companion was a fun break from reality and I enjoyed it. For me, it didn’t have the typical YA feel to the book, which was a definite plus. I thought Alyssa, our heroine, was a bit older than 18. She was mature and seemed to know a lot about various situations.

While I enjoyed the book, I did have a hard time believing the relationships between Alyssa and the Royal family. It seemed too casual to me. A lot of the things that Alyssa was involved in, in all honesty, just wouldn’t happen.

The other thing that disappointed me was the ending. I hate that it just ended. I know there are 3 other books in the series and I probably haven’t seen the last of Alyssa and Max, but I wanted just a little bit more in their book.

The other Princesses that made an appearance in this book have me intrigued and I’ll definitely continue on with this series… even though it’s YA… 😉

1 Comments: