Saturday, July 13, 2019

Weekend Ramblings


Hey party people! It has been forever since I've done a Weekend Ramblings post. After reading an author's blog post yesterday I decided that I would dedicate this post to authors.

As a reader, I feel the need to apologize to authors everywhere. You all work extremely hard to publish books for readers like me. I, for one, am extremely grateful to each and every one of you. You put your heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears and love into these creations. I'm in awe every single time I read a book. If you ask me, authors are magical. Who else can transport you to another world and take you on many adventures using only 26 letters?! It's magic I tell you!

When I heard there are readers out there who are not only leaving negative reviews, but also sending personal messages to authors that are even more negative, I found it extremely disturbing. Are people's lives so miserable that they have to hide behind a computer screen and tear down authors because they didn't write what you wanted them to write?

I get that not everyone is going to LOVE every book they read. But, in my opinion, us, as readers, need to have some class when it comes to writing reviews and reaching out to authors. There is a way to express your thoughts and feelings without saying cruel and mean things. Personally attacking an author is seriously unacceptable to me. How would we like it if people started tearing our work apart for no other reason than because they wanted to?! I mean come on... authors are humans too! Yes, I know that they have to have a tough skin in this industry and they are not always going to have glowing 5 star reviews all the time. But they also don't need to be torn apart for how they write their books. This is, after all, THEIR creation! These characters speak to THEM. They each have their own individual writing style that makes them unique and puts their mark in the book world.

To the reviewers who are doing these horrible things, grow up! If you don't like a book, you don't like a book. Move on! There is no reason to be so hateful. There are millions of authors in the world. I'm sure there's at least one out there that will be your cup of tea.

I hope I haven't offended anyone for putting my thoughts and opinions into this post. But since yesterday I have felt like I needed to get this out there for others to read. Hopefully, as readers and reviewers, we can help to lift up and encourage our favorite writers, new writers and future writers.

To all authors reading this post... YOU are amazing! YOU are rockstars! YOU can do this! And THANK YOU for creating a magical place that we can disappear into and discover new worlds whenever we open a book!

3 Comments:

  1. Well said! I agree completely. And authors ARE magical! I am so grateful for them ❤️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even begin to tell you where I would be without them. Books have been and always will be a safe haven for me.

      Delete
  2. Well said. On the occasion that I read a book that isn't quite my cup of tea, I try to find something positive about the writing or story and state why the book wasn't for me. It's hard work writing a book and you aren't going to please everyone all the time, but there's no reason to leave a scathing review and then contact the author to tear them down. I'm thankful for the authors who write books I can get lost in.

    ReplyDelete