Tuesday, December 17, 2019

The Matrimonial Advertisement by Mimi Matthews


Synopsis:

She Wanted Sanctuary...

Helena Reynolds will do anything to escape her life in London, even if that means traveling to a remote cliffside estate on the North Devon coast and marrying a complete stranger. But Greyfriar's Abbey isn't the sort of refuge she imagined. And ex-army captain Justin Thornhill--though he may be tall, dark, and devastatingly handsome--is anything but a romantic hero.

He Needed Redemption...

Justin has spent the last two decades making his fortune, settling scores, and suffering a prolonged period of torture in an Indian prison. Now, he needs someone to smooth the way for him with the villagers. Someone to manage his household--and warm his bed on occasion. What he needs, in short, is a wife and a matrimonial advertisement seems the perfect way to acquire one.

Their marriage was meant to be a business arrangement and nothing more. A dispassionate union free from the entanglements of love and affection. But when Helena's past threatens, will Justin's burgeoning feelings for his new bride compel him to come to her rescue? Or will dark secrets of his own force him to let her go?

My Review: 5 Stars

When you're in one of those dreaded reading ruts and not one, not two, but three bookish friends tell you to read a particular book, my advice to you would be... READ IT! 

Justin Thornhill is in need of a wife. But finding one in a small, middle of nowhere town is proving to be impossible. Especially when the towns people won't go anywhere near him or his home. When his steward suggests a matrimonial advertisement, he agrees as long as the woman understands it's simply a business arrangement. 

Helena's life has been turned upside down and there's no one left to be her advocate. Her only option is to runaway to a cliffside estate and marry a complete stranger. But anything is better than living in the nightmare she's been living in for two years. A business arrangement sounds perfect to her. 

From the first moment Justin and Helena met, there was an instant connection. The more time they spend together, the closer they become. Both are secretly falling in love with the other. 

But when Helena's past finally catches up with her and takes them back to London, Justin finally sees how different they are. Will their differences be too much to overcome? Or will their love prove to be stronger than any obstacle they have to face?

*dreamy sigh*

I absolutely adored Justin and Helena! They were absolutely perfect for each other. Both of them had past struggles that needed to be dealt with and together they were able to overcome them. It definitely was not an easy road for them but there was nothing about their story that I would have changed.

I started The Matrimonial Advertisement right before I went to bed. Had it not been for my kindle constantly hitting me in the face (I was exhausted), I probably would've read WAY past my bedtime. But alas, I only got through chapter one that night. And when I woke up earlier than usual the next morning because my room was chilly, do you think I turned on my heater and rolled back over in bed? Nope! I turned on my heater and grabbed my kindle! I was completely hooked. I found myself sneaking in reading time whenever I could. I could not put this book down! I was constantly on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next.

This is my first book by Ms. Matthews and I can already tell you it will not be my last! I have already one-clicked the other books in the series and have pre-ordered the last one. I cannot wait to dive back into her books! 

And of course I cannot forget my casting! I love these two! What do you think?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment