Thursday, February 20, 2020

For the Lady of Lowena by Deborah M. Hathaway


Synopsis:

She’s everything he never wanted—until she was everything he needed.

Tired of the smoke, the smog, and the spoiled females of London, Frederick Hawkins leaves the city behind and purchases an estate in Cornwall, longing to escape his mother’s meddling—and to find a wife worthy of his devotion. When he happens upon a barefooted lady asleep on the beach and rescues her from the incoming tide, he believes he has found such a woman. But first impressions can’t be trusted.

Born into wealth, Sophia Rosewall is offered everything on a silver platter. That is, until her father reveals he has lost their fortune and can now no longer fund their affluent living. Even worse, the intriguing gentleman who’d rescued Sophia on the beach is no one else but the pretentious man now taking possession of her home. Uprooted from everything she has ever known, Sophia relocates to Lowena, a small cottage at the edge of the sea. She clings to her former life, but when Society rejects her, nothing will ever be the same.

As their paths continually cross, Frederick begins to see glimmers of the carefree Sophia he’d first met on the beach, and he cannot help but hope that there is more to the woman than a love of wealth and attention. He does what he can to help her find confidence in her new life and allow her true self to shine forth, but only Sophia can stop attempting to change her circumstances, and instead, change her heart.

My Review: 5 Stars

I'm one of those people who do not have a bucket list. But if I did, I would definitely add visit Cornwall on to it. Every time I read a book in this series, I'm transported to the beautiful seaside where I live and breathe everything Cornwall.

From the moment I met Sophia and Frederick, I was excited for their story. But after the first chapter, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to like Sophia or not. I quickly learned that I was not. She went from being the sweet person Frederick rescued on the beach to the person who is the complete opposite. I was with Frederick when he took an instant disliking to Sophia. She was a snob and pretty much thought the world should revolve around her.

But when tragedy strikes, and Sophia's family loses everything, she's thrown into an unknown world. A world where she realizes that she's no longer welcome among those of her previous class. As Sophia tries to navigate her new life, she'll learn some valuable lessons. Lessons that will have Frederick thinking twice about who the real Sophia is and if she's someone that he can see himself with.

But when Sophia's life takes another turn, will she choose to go back to who she used to be? Or will she choose to be the person she's become?

In true Hathaway form, I was made to feel all the feels. I enjoyed sitting down and strapping in for the emotional roller coaster of Sophia's and Frederick's lives. The lessons they learned on their journey are ones that we all can learn as well. I loved the realness of this book. I loved the reminder that even though we're flawed, it doesn't mean that we are not valuable, that we are not cherished. This book was just what I needed right now. It gave me the hope and peace that I have been seeking.

For the Lady of Lowena is another winner by Ms. Hathaway! I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next!

And of course I can't forget my casting. I absolutely adore these two! What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment