Saturday, February 1, 2020

Weekend Ramblings


Hey party people! Are you ready for another Weekend Ramblings a la KJ?!

Well then... let's get ready to raaaaammmmmbbbbbllllleeeee!!!!!

This week's rambling topic is...

** Reading Pet Peeves **

We all have them. There's no point in denying it. There's at least one thing that bugs us when it comes to reading. I know I've done this topic before but it was 4 years ago. I have a lot more pet peeves than I used too. Haha. And since we have a lot of new readers who weren't around when I did it last time, I thought what the heck! Let's do it again!

Are you ready?! 

*deep breath*

1. The over usage of exclamation points. Holy. Hannah! Some authors go crazy with them. A lot of the time, they don't even match up with the scene. For example, how can someone be in a whispered conversation and BAM! Exclamation point after exclamation point. But they're still whispering. It bugs the heck out of me! 

2. Inconsistencies and grammatical errors. I get that not every book is going to be 100% perfect. But when you're reading a book that has a lot of errors in it, it takes away from the story. After noticing three or four within the first few chapters, I find myself entering beta reader mode and picking the book apart. I usually end up lowering my rating because of it... especially when the errors should've been caught by beta readers and editors.

3. More than one couple in the book. If I'm reading a romance, I want just one hero and one heroine. I do not want to read about 2 or more couples.. especially if the book is written in multiple POV's. Jeezle peezle do I ever get confused! I also think it takes getting to know the characters and connecting with them away from the reader. I can't tell you how many synopsis's I've read recently that have multiple couples in it. There was one that had FIVE couples in ONE book! Oh! And the book was less than 300 pages. How in the world are you going to connect with each one of them?! It makes me batty! If you're going to have that many couples in one book, why not make it into a series?!

I'm sure I can go on and on with this topic but I want to hear from you! What are some of YOUR reading pet peeves?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

2 Comments:

  1. So so many. Lately though, I get super bugged if the entire story is told in the blurb about the book. The entire story. Really. This is happening so much, especially with the trope authors. They leave me with no desire to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been noticing that too! It's one of the reasons I'm boycotting the trope authors. Haha.

      I have to say that since your comment about not reading my review until after you read the book has me trying to change the way I review. I'm finding how hard it is to break that habit.. haha. I'm trying really hard not to give anything away though. ;)

      Delete