Monday, January 27, 2020

A Convenient Fiction by Mimi Matthews


Synopsis:

She Needed a Husband...

It’s been three years since Laura Hayes’s father died, leaving her and her invalid brother to subsist on the income from the family’s failing perfume business. But time is swiftly running out. What she needs is a husband, and fast. A noble gentleman who can rescue them all from penury. When a mysterious stranger arrives in the village, he seems a perfect candidate. But Alex Archer is no hero. In fact, he just might be the opposite.

He Wanted a Fortune..

Alex has no tolerance for sentiment. He’s returned to England for one reason only: to find a wealthy wife. A country-bred heiress in Surrey seems the perfect target. But somewhere between the village railway station and the manor house his mercenary plan begins to unravel. And it’s all the fault of Laura Hayes—a lady as unsuitable as she is enchanting.

From the beaches of Margate to the lavender fields of Provence, a grudging friendship slowly blossoms into something more. But when scandal threatens, can a man who has spent his entire life playing the villain, finally become a hero? Or will the lure of easy riches once again outweigh the demands of his heart?

My Review: 5 Stars

I have been curious about Alex's story from the first book in this series. From the moment I picked up A Convenient Fiction, I knew I was going to have the hardest time putting it down. And I was right!

Alex Archer has come to Surrey for one reason and one reason only. To wed a rich country heiress. However, their marriage will be one of convenience only. Alex doesn't do emotional entanglements. He's spent years building a wall around his heart. He can't afford for anyone to knock it down.

But from the moment he first laid eyes on Laura, he knew he was in trouble. There was something about her that called to him, that drew him in. Try as he might, he just couldn't get her out of his mind.

For the last three years, Laura Hayes has done everything in her power to keep her family's household running. She's been the one to shoulder all the problems and see that their measly income from their failing perfume business is enough to get them by.

When circumstances beyond her control threatens to take everything away, she'll have to admit that she can no longer do it alone. She needs someone by her side who can help shoulder all the burdens. She needs a husband.

Thrown together on several occasions, Alex and Laura do their best to fight their growing attraction. But it was getting harder and harder each time they saw each other. When scandal threatens to ruin Laura, Alex will have to decide. Should he run away and start fresh somewhere else, again? Or should he stay and see if love is what he's been searching for all along?

*dreamy sigh*

You. Guys! I absolutely adored this book! I instantly fell in love with Alex and Laura. Watching them become friends and then something more had this book dragons heart melting into all kinds of goo. I could not get enough of these two! I stayed up way too late and woke up way too early just so I could finish this book.

I also loved seeing the characters from previous books. The emotion in those reunions had me all teary eyed and falling in love with all of them even more. I absolutely love this series! I can't wait to read Neville's book next!

If I hadn't been a fan of Ms. Matthews already, this book would have sealed the deal for me. I am officially bumping her other books to the top of my TBR list. I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next!

As for my casting, I absolutely love these two! What do you think?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment