Saturday, January 25, 2020

A Modest Independence by Mimi Matthews


Synopsis:

He Needed Peace...

Solicitor Tom Finchley has spent his life using his devious intellect to solve the problems of others. As for his own problems, they’re nothing that a bit of calculated vengeance can’t remedy. But that’s all over now. He’s finally ready to put the past behind him and settle down to a quiet, uncomplicated life. If only he could find an equally uncomplicated woman.

She Wanted Adventure...

Former lady’s companion Jenny Holloway has just been given a modest independence. Now, all she wants is a bit of adventure. A chance to see the world and experience life far outside the restrictive limits of Victorian England. If she can discover the fate of the missing Earl of Castleton while she’s at it, so much the better.

From the gaslit streets of London to the lush tea gardens of colonial India, Jenny and Tom embark on an epic quest—and an equally epic romance. But even at the farthest edges of the British Empire, the past has a way of catching up with you…

My Review: 4 Stars

Thomas Finchley's life has to be in order. Everything has to be planned out down to the very last detail. He's a creature of habit and finds solace in the monotony. Nothing in his life could have ever prepared him for the likes of Jenny Holloway.

Jenny Holloway's life has never been her own. She's always had to do the bidding of her father and brothers. When she finally frees herself from their clutches, she swears she'll never let another person have that kind of hold on her again. 

When Jenny approaches Tom informing him of her plans to travel to India, Tom does the unthinkable. On a whim, he plants himself in the middle of Jenny's adventure. He tries to justify it as him protecting and helping her through her travels. But the truth is, he's never met anyone like Jenny before. He's drawn to her and that scares him. 

Throughout their journey, Tom and Jenny do everything they can to fight the growing attraction between them. But it proves to be stronger than either of them imagined. They will need to decide if they're going to continue living their lives as they always have or if they're going to take a leap of faith to see if there's a HEA is in store for them. 

A Modest Independence was slow going for me. I really wanted to love it as much as The Matrimonial Advertisement, but it fell a tad short for me. I absolutely adored Tom. He was the shining star in the book for me and the reason I liked it as much as I did. He had so much patience and understanding for Jenny. She's definitely stubborn and set in her ways. I found myself wanting to shake her and tell her to wake up. 

All in all, I did enjoy this book. I loved seeing Justin, Helena and Neville again. I can't wait to read the other books in the series. I'm extremely curious about Alex's story. 

I'm so glad that my bookish friends recommended Ms. Matthews to me. I've loved all the books I've read so far. I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next!

And of course I can't forget my casting. What do you think of these two?


*Note* Books must be read in order. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment