Saturday, January 18, 2020

Weekend Ramblings


Hey party people! It has been forever since I've done a Weekend Ramblings post. I decided that 2020 is the year to get back on track with my bookish ramblings.

What exactly is Weekend Ramblings? I'll post a topic and then share my thoughts on said topic. If you want to join in on the ramblings all you gotta do is start commenting! Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Right?!

So... are you ready?! Yes?! Well then... let's get ready to raaaaammmmmbbbbbllllleeeee! Hehe.

** Fluff. To read or not to read, that is the question. **

Confession. For those that don't already know, I was not one of those kids that loved reading. In fact, I avoided it unless I absolutely had to read a book for school. It wasn't until after I graduated high school that I actually started reading for fun. And when I started reading, it was literally only ONE author. I refused to read anything else. 

After reading for a few years, I slowly started branching out to new authors. One of the authors that I started reading was pretty much just fluff. At the time, I didn't know any different. I loved those books and couldn't get enough of them. But the more I branched out, the more I realized that there was something missing in the books I had been reading. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't even read books by the few authors I originally started reading. 

It wasn't until recently that I figured out the reason I have such a hard time with a lot of the popular books. The answer? Fluff! To me, it feels like the same story over and over because there really isn't anything to the stories. They lack conflict, they lack a believable and engaging plot, they lack real emotion. Again, this is how I feel.

I absolutely love books with substance. I want to feel everything the characters are feeling. I want to be transported to wherever the characters are. I want to be invested in the couple's journey to their happily ever after. That is what has me letting out little dreamy sighs throughout the entire book. I love when that happens!

Now don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with fluff books. I still read them every now and again. But given the choice between a book with substance and a book with fluff, 90% of the time I'll chose the book with substance. There's just something about the realism that has me coming back for more. 

What about you? What are your likes and dislikes about fluff books? What are your likes and dislikes about books with substance? Which one do you lean more towards and why? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

6 Comments:

  1. I like both fluff and substance. Sometimes I don't have enough energy/emotional reserves to deal with substance, and fluff is a welcome companion at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the exact times fluff is welcome for me too! After the week I've had, I really want some fluff. But alas, I have ARC's that I need to read and review. At least the one I'm currently reading is a Hallmark book! 😂

      Delete
    2. I agree Emily M. I have lots of both in my massive TBR pile. I love books with great characters where they overcome obstacles in life, etc, but after a few of those I want a book that I know is easy to read with a happy ending or one of my cozy mysteries or supernatural cozy mysteries that will give my emotions a break. That being said, I completely understand Kathy Jo's feelings on certain tropes that seem to be all the rage right now.

      Delete
  2. I was in a book club a few years ago. We read books supposedly with substance. Books like the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It made me HATE reading. So I quit and went back to my fluff books. Predictable, happy endings, no one gets raped or abused. I feel like life itself is too heavy for me to read those supposed books of substance. Predictable works for me. Granted, I like my fluff escapism books to have real emotion. No Fabio Fluff for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I won't join a book club. I only want to read what I want to read. If I don't like a book, I stop reading it. Life's too short to read books you don't like. Now if I could choose the book every month, I'd totally join! 😂

      Delete
    2. You choose the book every month and I'll join!!

      Delete