Saturday, February 8, 2020

Romancing the Rake by Nichole Van


Synopsis:

Lady Sophronia Sorrow considers herself an unlikely heroine. Why, just her name alone proves this. Sophronia Sorrow is the name of a simpering miss from a gothic penny novel—the foolish girl who falls prey to a rake and becomes an object lesson for the true heroine to avoid. No, despite her mawkish name, Sophie refuses to spend her life invisible and unwanted, relegated to the margin of the text, never belonging. If only she could uncover the identity of her natural father, perhaps she would belong there?

But one thing Sophie knows for sure—unlike that foolhardy miss in a novel, she will not succumb to a rake. No matter how thoroughly Lord Rafe Gilbert may tempt her.

Lord Rafe Gilbert longs for freedom—freedom from his controlling father, freedom to live his life as he chooses. He knows playing the rake pleases his father, but he longs to determine his own destiny. Case in point, he fell in love with Lady Sophie years ago, but his father’s threats prevent him from pursuing her in earnest. So when Fate thrusts Sophie into his path, Rafe struggles to turn her away. But given the menace hanging over his head, he has no other choice, doesn’t he?

Spanning years and ranging from London ballrooms to a castle in the Scottish Highlands, can two kindred souls heal from past hurts and seize a second chance to write a love story of their own?

My Review: 5 Stars

Wow! What a fantastic addition to the Brotherhood of the Black Tartan series! How fantastic you ask? Well, lets just say I already want to read it again!

Lady Sophie is a rather unique and quirky heroine. But you can't help but love her from the very beginning. Lord Rafe is one of those heroes that you instantly love. Put the two of them together and sparks start flying off the page. They were truly perfect for each other. Not only did they balance the other out, but they loved each other for who they were on the inside... quirks, insecurities, family drama and all. I couldn't get enough of these two!

Watching Sophie and Rafe navigate through their trails and tribulations and trying to figure out their relationship was not easy. I'm warning you ahead of time. You'll feel all the feels! I found myself laughing, getting teary eyed, seething with anger, shocked, and letting out little dreamy sighs throughout the book.

From the moment I started Romancing the Rake, I did not want to put it down. All the twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat and trying to devour the book as quickly as I could. The time I spent away from the book was absolute torture. I found myself sneaking in reading time whenever I could. I may or may not have gotten irrationally angry when real life kept me from finishing the book as fast as I wanted.

Ms. Van is a phenomenal storyteller! I can always count on her to whisk me away to the setting of her book where I'll live and breathe with all the characters until the very last page. It's no wonder that she's a favorite and an auto-buy author for me.

And what review of mine would be complete without my casting? I absolutely adore these two! What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment