Sunday, October 25, 2020

Away from You by Jess Mastorakos

 


Synopsis:

Lance Corporal Matthew Mills returned home from his first deployment with more than just a bullet wound. While he knew that injury would heal, he feared the invisible ones never would. He couldn't trust his own mind anymore and the only way to keep Olivia safe was to push her away... maybe for good.

Olivia wanted nothing more than to stand by her husband while he battled PTSD. If he needed time and space, that's what she'd give him. But how long was too long? Just when she was about to lose hope, fate and a few meddling friends stepped in.

A week in the woods at Big Bear Lake promises relaxation, fun with friends, and adventure. Without the pressures of the outside world, Olivia hopes she can convince him that their love is worth fighting for. And as much as it scares him, Matt can't help but want to let her.

My Review: 5 Stars

Have you ever picked up a book, started reading it and instantly knew you were going to have the hardest time putting it down? Well, that's exactly what happened to me with this book. The only thing that stopped me from staying up all night reading was my kindle continually hitting me in the face every time my body drifted off to sleep. But, the moment I woke up this morning, you better believe I grabbed my kindle, curled back up under my blanket and picked up right where I left off. It was the perfect way to start my Sunday. 😊

Matt and Olivia have been together since their freshman year in high school. Their relationship was strong and they knew that when hard times came, they would be able to weather them together. Neither one of them were prepared for Matt getting injured in combat and coming home with PTSD. Words were said, trust was broken, and Matt's decision to end their marriage crushed them. But when your love is as strong as theirs and your friends know the only way to overcome this trial is by being together, you have to give it your all and trust that, in the end, it will all work out the way it should. 

I knew from the moment I started reading this book that it would be an emotional rollercoaster. I found myself rooting for Olivia and Matt from the very beginning. They were young, barely starting out in their marriage, and were dealing with something that no one around them had ever gone through before. To say their journey was tough is an understatement. But it made them better and brought them closer together. I loved every single minute of this book! It's one I know I'll be reading over and over again. 

There are several reasons why authors become one of my favorites. One of those reasons is their ability to take a very hard, taboo subject that no one wants to read about, and address it in a respectful way that has you opening your eyes and understanding, even if it's just a little bit, what others who are suffering with it may be going through. Ms. Mastorakos does an exceptional job writing about the hard stuff that most of us will never face in real life. PTSD is one of those hard subjects no one wants to talk about but that everyone should be talking about it. It's real and it probably tears more families apart than most of us realize. I've always had a deep respect for our military men and women and their families. But after getting a "behind the scenes" look into what they can and do face every day, my respect for them has grown even more.  

I am absolutely loving this series! I've been in a bit of a reading funk lately but this series has completely captivated me and I don't want to do anything BUT read. I can already tell you I'm going to have a major book hangover when I finish this series. 😉

As for my casting... y'all... I'm loving these two! What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment