Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Buried Secrets by Rebecca Deel


Synopsis:

Mindy Long left her painful past behind and is determined to create a new life for herself. All she wants is to grow a successful business and provide a stable, loving home for her nephew. But when she’s kidnapped, Mindy realizes she’ll have to defeat a deadly enemy from her past to be truly free. To accomplish that, she needs the help of a cop with lethal skills.

Despite more than a decade apart, Deputy Levi Montgomery never forgot the woman who stole his heart as a teenager. Now that she’s back in his life, he’ll stop at nothing to win her heart. But when a desperate adversary targets Mindy and her nephew, Levi will break every rule to protect them. His new mission: save his family by any means necessary.

My Review: 3.5 Stars

I've been wanting to get my hands on Mindy's story since she was introduced in Conspiracy. To say she's had a hard life is an extreme understatement. And to say her father and brother were absolutely horrible would be another extreme understatement. Mindy has got to be one of the strongest heroines I've read in a long time. 

Mindy and Levi were high school sweethearts. but their relationship came to an abrupt halt when her father upped and moved their family out of town without a trace. Fast forward several years, and Fate has brought them back together. Life is far from sunshine and roses for both of them. Neither of them forgot the other and now the only question is, will their past tear them apart or bring them closer than ever?

Y'all. I'm not gong to lie. I find it harder to review a favorite author's book when it was good, but not great. There were a few things that kept it from being great for me. The first would be Roman. He's only 5 years old, but the way he spoke was well beyond his years. I struggled with trying to suspend belief but I just couldn't do it. The next would be inconsistencies and grammatical errors. I really crave immersing myself into all the books I read but these kinds of errors take away from the story. They should have been caught by alpha/beta readers and/or editors. 

With that being said, I still enjoyed Mindy and Levi's story. It was fun watching their relationship develop and getting their long awaited HEA. The addition of Roman made it even better. It was also fun catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous for the new team. Not sure why but I am. Haha. I'm looking forward to getting to know them better. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment