Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Gabbing With Guymon - Week 1

Gabbing with Guymon is brought to you by Kathy over at Bookworm Nation. Enjoy!

I am so excited to get to know Shannon a little better, this is really one of my favorite parts of Swoon Fest. It's fun seeing everyone's questions and of course hearing Shannon's answers.

What was your favorite book to write? What was your hardest book to write? Werewolf Dreams was my favorite book to write. That sucker just flowed out. I wrote it in 2 weeks and had a blast going all paranormal. My hardest book to write was My One and Only. I had been promising that book to my readers for months and it took me foreeeevvver to write. I was trying to write during the holidays and on top of that I had company and I’m telling you - those two things combined are not conducive to writing. At all. I loved the story. I loved my characters - but pulling it out of me took a miracle.

How do you come up your character names?
 My daughters always help me come up with names. They’re the best resource.

Which of your Heroes in your book would you must like to meet in person?
This one is tough! I love them all! Hmmm – I adore all of my Matafeo men so I’d have to meet Kam and Pule. Kam is so tough and loving and Pule is just a hoot.

Which are your top five favorite kissing scenes from your books?
 I just did 3 – hope that’s okay I loved the kiss between Ava and Cyrus in Werewolf Revenge – it was their first kiss after she returns when they’re in the office and I had to stop to fan my face. Ivy and Becket in Dreaming of Ivy when they kiss after she breaks up with him on the front porch. Their first kiss is one of my favorites too though. When Kam kisses Bailey at the very beginning of Be Mine just to prove a point and when he walks away, Bailey says, Wow.

Do you have any favorite onscreen/movie kisses?
Crazy Stupid Love (Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone – Holy. Cow) 16 Candles – (Molly Ringwald and that Jake guy – I was 14 and prayed that would happen to me when I turned 16) The Princess Bride kiss at the end. Come on, that was beautiful.

Would you ever consider writing fairytale inspired stories?
I would if I could put a contemporary spin on it. I’m a sucker for Cinderella. (Can’t wait to see the new movie!)

Love your covers! Do you help design them?
They are a collaborative effort in that I give a lot of input but in the end, they are the creative result of very talented designers. I especially loved what Sherry Gammon did for My One and Only. I can’t wait to see what she does for my next book.

How do you come up with your titles?
I LOVE using song titles to help me with my story titles. My first trilogy – Love and Dessert was Ho Hey by the Lumineers. My One and Only was inspired by an Ed Sheeran song. Not sure yet what my next title will be …

What three words would you use to describe your books?
Fun, uplifting and happy.

Can you tell us about any current projects your working on right now?
Right now I’m working on Pule’s story and it’s taking me longer than I had planned but boy am I having fun with him. This story is surprising me and going places I had never planned on or expected. I feel like I’m just along for the ride on this one, which as a writer, is the best.

Do you have a favorite place to write? Favorite writing snack?
I love to write on my living room couch. I hate writing at a desk because then I feel like it’s work. I like to get comfortable with my laptop and then see what flows. My favorite snack? Right now it would have to be pistachios. I’ve become addicted in a bad way.

Do you have a music playlist for each of your books?
Not necessarily a playlist because I like complete silence when I write, but when I’m riding around in my car, and certain songs come on, I’ll shout out to my kids – “That’s (fill in the blank) their song! That’s totally them!” And I’ll try and work that song into the story sometimes.

Who are your favorite authors? Favorite books?
I have so many authors I adore, I honestly can’t even attempt to narrow it down but I’ll give you a few of my favorite books: The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Pride and Prejudice, The Harry Potter series, A Discovery of Witches and My Parents Married on a Dare - (non-fiction)

How did you get into writing?
I never planned on being a writer or even thought it was a possibility. I loved reading but writing was never my thing in school. But when I was a young mom, about the age of 25 or 26, words just started flowing through my mind and I figured I’d better start writing them down. I still remember jumping up and down in my garage the day I got a letter from a publisher telling me they wanted to publish my book.

What gives you inspiration for your characters and story lines?
To quote Stephen King –“ I have no idea.” It just comes. Every time I sit down on the couch and open my laptop to begin a new story, I plug into whatever source (muse) has gifted me with all of these fun stories and they just keep sending them to me.

Tune in next week for more Gabbing with Guymon!

2 Comments:

  1. These are so fun! Great to get to know Shannon better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED reading it!! Shannon is seriously AMAZING!! Love her!! :)

      Delete