Sunday, February 4, 2024

Death Wish by Rebecca Deel

 

Synopsis:

Computer programmer Simone Kent's life is finally on the right track. After escaping a traumatic past, she has a job with an elite security company, good friends, and a new assignment with a man who fascinates her. Simone's former life, however, won't stay buried. When an old enemy targets Simone, one man stands between her and certain death.

Fortress Security operative Jesse Phelps is tasked with protecting a sassy computer programmer during an undercover assignment. Although he's playing the role of her boyfriend, his growing feelings for Simone are all too real. After an attempt on their lives, the line between fantasy and reality blurs. Jesse vows to keep Simone safe from harm, no matter the cost to himself. This time, though, Jesse's medical skills and battle readiness might not be enough to save the woman he loves.

My Review: 5 Stars

I'm going to be straight up honest with you guys. I was terrified to start this book. Jesse has been my absolute favorite of the Texas Team since they were introduced way back when. The last several books by Ms. Deel have fallen flat for me and I was picturing this one going the same way. Y'all. I have never been happier to announce how wrong I was! 

What can I say about Jesse and Simone?! I adore these two! From the very beginning they were thrown together for a very dangerous undercover assignment. Jesse didn't want Simone anywhere near the operation, but he knew he couldn't keep her away. He would just have to work extra hard to protect her all the while winning her heart with sweet gestures and swoony kisses. Y'all. These two were absolutely perfect for each other. And it was refreshing to see them working together and watching their relationship develop without any outside interference from his meddling teammates and their wives. IYKYK.

I loved the action-packed, fast pace of this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat and had me reading late into the night. It's been awhile since a book has done that to me. I also loved seeing Sawyer again and getting a glimpse into Artemis. I'm intrigued.  

Death Wish felt more like her older books and reminded me just how much I love them! There are certain books that I reread regularly and this will be one that gets added into the mix. It was good to see that most of the issues that I've had with the newer books were pretty much non-existent, which was a huge relief. I was able to immerse myself in the story and just get lost in all things Jesse and Simone.

However, there were some discrepancies. Jake Davenport is not the medic for Wolf Pack, he's the medic for Phantom. Teagan states from the very beginning that she doesn't drink coffee, only hot chocolate and tea. But later in the book she just has to have coffee strong enough to peel paint. Why are beta readers/editors/proofreaders not catching these? Another thing that bugged me was names. Either names that are being repeated throughout the series (i.e. Sophie, Martin, Coleman), or names that have changed from one book to the next. With the billions of names out there, why are so many of them being repeated across all three series?

But those issues didn't stop me from loving this book! It's so different from what Ms. Deel has been releasing lately and I love that! I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get more of this kind of writing with Sawyer's book. I didn't realize how much I've missed it until I started reading this one. 

And of course I can't forget my casting. I love these two! What do you think? 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment