Monday, January 14, 2019

My Not So Wicked Stepbrother by Jennifer Peel


Synopsis:

Loveless is more than a name, it’s a curse.

I, Emma Loveless, have a destiny. It’s not the greatest of destinies, but when you have a name like Loveless, what can you do? I’m cursed to always be the friend, never the girlfriend. Unless you count my love affair with Duncan Hines, Dr. Pepper, and the ever-lovable Pillsbury Doughboy. They’ve seen me through it all, but a girl needs more than refined sugar to curl up to every night. It doesn’t help that I have a meddling, albeit wonderful, mother who can’t help playing matchmaker. Thanks to her, I can say I’ve been on a date with a felon. Now she swears she’s found the one for me, her new optometrist, Dr. Sawyer King. Meanwhile, I’m preparing for the inevitable restraining order. That is, until I meet the sexy doctor and have to admit my mother is right—love at first sight does exist.

Unfortunately, my last name means business. Not only do I find myself in the friend zone, but also the twilight zone. Only in my world would Mr. Right turn into my stepbrother. To top it off, he brings with him a wicked stepmother who will do anything to keep us apart. Despite all this my heart—or is that my mom?—keeps telling me Sawyer is the one. But what if true love isn’t strong enough to interfere with my destiny? It’ll be me and the Doughboy...for eternity.

My Review: 5 Stars

Cursed. Anyone with the last name Loveless would be. At least that's what Emma believes. She's always the best friend, never the girlfriend. But that doesn't stop her mother from playing matchmaker. She's determined to help Emma find the love of her life. When her mom tells her that she's found "the one" for Emma, she tries to discourage her, but to no avail.

One text. Just one text from an unknown number. Who knew that one text would be the catalyst to flip Emma's world upside down? Turns out her mom was right... Sawyer is the love of her life. But her mom was also wrong... she has been firmly put on the "just friends" shelf by Sawyer. It wasn't supposed to be like this. They were supposed to meet, go on a date and then see where the future led. But when tragedy struck, all plans came to a screeching halt. Who knew that love could hurt so much?

Things just keep going from bad to worse. Her dad remarried an evil stepmonster and hasn't been the same since. Her sisters are brats and treat her horribly. And to top it off, some blonde bombshell has set her sights on Sawyer. It would be easy to hate said beauty... if it wasn't for the fact that's she so nice. Emma doesn't need any of this. Why can't things be different?

But what if they could be different? What if the little things Sawyer has been saying and doing means that he feels for her in a more than friends kind of way? That would be icing on the brownies for Miss Emma Loveless. But before she has a chance to figure it out, stepmonster puts her in an uncomfortable position that can only end badly. Emma has to decide. Go along with and agree to what stepmonster says or stick to her guns knowing that in the end she could lose Sawyer.

There is really only one choice. And if Sawyer can't see past everything that his mother has been doing, then he doesn't deserve her friendship or her love.

But little does she know... Sawyer have been holding back. He's done with everyone getting in their way. He's done with not getting what he wants. Everything is about to change, for the better... and Emma won't know what hit her.

*dreamy sigh*

Oh. My. Gosh! You. Guys! Drop whatever you are reading and grab My Not So Wicked Stepbrother... RIGHT NOW! You will not regret it... I promise! Once I started it I found myself being kidnapped and held hostage within it's pages and was not released until the very end. An no... I am NOT complaining at all! I had no desire to leave those beautiful pages! Who would when you have a swoon worthy, thoughtful hero like Sawyer and selfless, adorable, full of love heroine like Emma?! And can we just take a moment to ponder that unforgettable first kiss?! *dreamy sigh* YOWZERS! It is definitely worth the wait! It will not be forgotten anytime soon! ;)

And can we take a minute to discuss who CAN be forgotten?! I could not STAND Sawyer's mom or his brother nor did I like Emma's dad and sisters the majority of the book. They all had me fuming! Like steam coming out of my ears and the top of my head exploding kind of fuming! They did not deserve to have someone as amazing as Emma in their lives! There's a quote from the movie My Best Friend's Wedding that describes these lovelies... they are "the pus that infects the mucus that cruds up the fungus that feeds on the pond scum." Her dad and sisters may have redeemed themselves but I still felt this way about them for a good portion of the book! ;) Haha.

I know I say this all the time BUT.... Jennifer Peel has done it again! I can always count on her books for that much needed break from reality! It's no wonder she's one of my all time favorites! I am definitely looking forward to the other books in this series! If they are anything like this one then I know I am going to absolutely ADORE them!

And of course my review would not be complete without my casting! These two were fun to cast! What do you think?!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment